Written by: Chelsea DeColle CNP & Dr. Filza Swalah, ND
Whether you are new to your wellness journey or not, chances are you’ll most likely have some burning questions to help take control of your hormones and bring balance. To help set the foundation of hormonal health, here are some of the top 5 most frequently asked questions:
1. I get terrible PMS. Do you have any recommendations on what to do?
PMS is something that we, as women can all relate to! But did you know that experiencing PMS symptoms is not actually normal? Factors like stress and hormone imbalances can worsen PMS symptoms. Some of the best ways to reduce your PMS symptoms include:
- managing stress levels by incorporating selfcare practices
- getting regular exercise and proper sleep
- Speak to your healthcare practitioner about checking your hormone levels for an imbalance
- reduce exposure to xenoestrogens in environment and foods
- eating a fibre rich diet to help with proper elimination
- Support healthy hormone balance with Cyclesmart
2. I tend to skip periods every now and then. Any idea how to make them regular?
Irregular menstrual cycle can be frustrating. Here are a few things to consider:
- Eat a well-balanced, nutritious diet including protein, healthy fats and carbs and make sure you are eating enough!
- Stress less, stress hormones can impact the female sex hormones and can sometimes through our cycle off
- Speak to your health care practitioner about other conditions that may be contributing to irregular cycles
3. I noticed my partner can handle stress a lot better than me. Any tips on how I can be more like them?
We’ve all been feeling the effects of stress more lately, but some people have a better ability to handle stress than others. How can you improve your stress response? Self-care practices and stress management go a long way to supporting stress healthy levels. Some simple steps to support stress reduction include:
- Breathing techniques can help to lower stress levels, Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth
- Give yourself time and space to decompress each day
- Nourish your body with healthy whole foods that include protein, fruits, and veggies
- Talk to a friend or health professional to communicate what you’re experiencing
- Get adequate sleep each night
- Use exercise to relieve and release stress!
4. I’m concerned about my thyroid function. What should I do?
Having a lower functioning/underactive thyroid can leave you feeling pretty tired and run down all the time. It’s important to speak with your health care practitioner if you have concerns about your thyroid health.
Common symptoms of thyroid dysfunction include:
- Weight gain
- Hair loss
- Cold intolerance
- Puffiness in face
Stress can play a part in making low thyroid symptoms worse, so stress management is a key! You also want to consider adding thyroid supporting nutrients to your diet such as selenium and iodine as they are both important for normal thyroid function. Some of these key nutrients are also found in Smart Solutions Thyrosmart! Reduce goitrogenic foods like cruciferous vegetables. Make sure you are getting adequate protein as it is important to support the thyroid.
5. Why is estrogen and progesterone balance important and how do I achieve better balance?
Estrogen and progesterone are two of the key players in the menstrual cycle. And each plays an important role in different phases of the cycle. You can get better balance by exercising on a daily, getting rest, stressing less, and supporting with key nutrients and herbs, like those found in Estrosmart or Cyclesmart by Smart Solutions!