Recipe by Bailey Campbell
Forward by Smart Solutions
These raw cacao energy balls will be your favourite new way to give yourself a little boost!
Rich in antioxidants and known for boosting energy, the superfood cacao is the star of this recipe.1 Cacao is loaded with essential minerals such as magnesium, copper, potassium, and iron.1 It’s also packed with flavonoids, which are powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties.1
Cashews are a great source of protein as well as nutrients that help with energy production.2Peanut butter adds more protein and fibre (did you know peanuts have more protein than any other nut?!), plus that smooth, creamy texture.3
Sweetened with dates and a splash of vanilla extract, these bite-sized bites require only 6 ingredients. Enjoy these for a mid-afternoon boost, an on-the-go snack, or as a mid-morning treat!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Chill Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1 cup salted cashews
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a food processor, add dates and cashews. Blend till fine.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until everything clumps together.
- Roll into 12 balls and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge. Can also be frozen and saved for later!
Instagram Handle: @basicswithbails
- Magrone, T., Russo, M. A., & Jirillo, E. (2017). Cocoa and Dark Chocolate Polyphenols: From Biology to Clinical Applications. Frontiers in immunology, 8, 677. https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2017.00677
- Rico, R., Bulló, M., & Salas-Salvadó, J. (2015). Nutritional composition of raw fresh cashew (Anacardium occidentale L.) kernels from different origin. Food science & nutrition, 4(2), 329–338. https://doi.org/10.1002/fsn3.294
- Arya, S. S., Salve, A. R., & Chauhan, S. (2016). Peanuts as functional food: a review. Journal of food science and technology, 53(1), 31–41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-015-2007-9