Recipe forward by: Dr. Filza Swalah, ND
Recipe by: Bailey Campbell
Are you craving something sweet during that time of month? Run to the kitchen to make these easy & delicious brownies. These brownies are full of antioxidants, thanks to cocoa powder. It’s important to load up on antioxidants right before your period as it helps keep oxidative stress at bay. Coconut sugar provides the perfect amount of sweetness along with nutrients like iron, zinc, calcium, and potassium. Coconut sugar also has inulin, a soluble fibre, which helps keep blood sugar stable. Arrowroot powder is a great gluten-free alternative to wheat flour and is a great source of protein and folate! Try these brownies today!
Serves: 16 browniesIngredients:
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper, leaving overhang on both sides for easy removal.
- Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a small saucepan over low heat. Melt completely and set aside to cool while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a stand mixer, add the coconut sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on high for about 2 minutes. The mixture will become light in colour. Add melted chocolate to mixture and mix again for another 30 seconds.
- Reduce speed to low and add in the cocoa powder, arrowroot powder and salt. Scrape down sides as you mix. The batter will become smooth and thick.
- Pour batter into a baking pan and spread with spatula. Bake for 25-28 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before cutting. Cut into 16 squares and enjoy!
Instagram Handle: @basicswithbails