Healthy fats are important for women’s hormonal health. Fats and cholesterol are important building blocks for hormones, and fat stores, as well as fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, K and adequate nutrients are essential for hormone balance.2
In addition, fat also:
- Provides energy
- Helps with satiety
- Supports our brains3- our brains in fact, are nearly 60% fat4
- So much more
But what fats are best and how much?
Think limiting fats from red meat and full fat dairy products including cheese. Also, stay away from processed and packaged foods that are high in trans fats and hydrogenated fats.
Focus instead on a diet rich in polyunsaturated fats, monounsaturated fats and lots of heart-healthy Omega 3.
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- Natural nut butters
- Raw nuts and seeds
- Cold pressed olive oil, avocado oil etc
- Fish oil
- Liu, A. G., Ford, N. A., Hu, F. B., Zelman, K. M., Mozaffarian, D., & Kris-Etherton, P. M. (2017). A healthy approach to dietary fats: understanding the science and taking action to reduce consumer confusion. Nutrition journal, 16(1), 53. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12937-017-0271-4
- Calder, Philip,C. (2015). Functional Roles of Fatty Acids and Their Effects on Human Health. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr.2015 Sep;39(1 Suppl):18S-32S. doi: 10.1177/0148607115595980
- Rosanna Chianese, Roberto Coccurello, Andrea Viggiano, Marika Scafuro, Marco Fiore, Giangennaro Coppola, Francesca Felicia Operto, Silvia Fasano, Sophie Laye, Riccardo Pierantoni, Rosaria Meccariello. (2018). Impact of Dietary Fats on Brain Functions. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2018;16(7):1059-1085. doi: 10.2174/1570159X15666171017102547
- Chia-Yu Chang, Der-Shin Ke, Jen-Yin Chen. (2009). Essential Fatty Acids and Human Brain. Acta Neurol Taiwan. 2009 Dec;18(4):231-41. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20329590/