For many women, perimenopause is a more challenging time than the menopausal years. In some women, hormones can start to shift as early as age 35; whereas other women do not experience hormone fluctuations until five years before menopause (the average onset of menopause is age 52). Prior to that, the relatively consistent up-and-down rhythm of hormones can start shifting as wildly as they did during puberty – estrogen becomes high, progesterone low, and at other times, there are steep increases and drops in estrogen.
During the perimenopausal years, weight gain, breast tenderness, heavy or long periods, acne, mood changes (including PMS, which may not have been a problem in younger days), fatigue, problems staying asleep, thinning hair, occasional sweats at night and low libido may occur.
If you suffer from symptoms of perimenopause, herbal supplements can help! Speak to your health care practitioner about incorporating natural health products, like Lorna Vanderhaeghe Health Solutions, into your daily routine.
What exactly is perimenopause?
Perimenopause is the time leading up to menopause, which marks the end of your reproductive years. During this time, hormone levels, especially your estrogen, spike and drop continuously, and often cause symptoms such as heavy or irregular periods, hot flashes, moodiness and low sex drive. The perimenopause stage is different for every woman and can often last for several years. Perimenopause lasts until you’ve gone a full year without a menstrual period.
Lifestyle changes for perimenopause:
To ease your perimenopause, be sure to give your body the support it needs. Lifestyle choices can help regulate your hormones, mood and health.
- Clean up your diet: While you are in perimenopause, fluctuating hormones need nutritional support. Be sure your diet includes sources of nutrients including calcium, Omega-3’s, iron and fibre, to create the healthiest environment possible. While the majority of your vitamins and minerals come from the food you eat (lean proteins, greens and whole grains), consider taking a multivitamin for nutritional insurance.
- Focus on your sleep: Getting adequate restorative sleep is imperative for your health. During perimenopause, sleep can be more elusive as hormonal changes can lead to insomnia and poor sleep. Cut out the screen time before bedtime, and make sure your bedroom is an oasis for snoozing.
- Make moves: Exercise can assist with everything from your mood to your overall health during perimenopause. Make it a goal to find something that you enjoy doing, whether you find a passion for spin class or joy in restorative yoga, and commit.
- ADRENAsmart is a great companion to have during perimenopause as it helps to relieve the symptoms of stress. ADRENAsmart supports adrenal gland health and reduces fatigue and sleeplessness at the same time that it supports physical stamina and cognitive function. Formulated with Ashwagandha and Rhodiola, the supplement is a great addition for any woman.
- THYROsmart is a supplement that supports optimal thyroid health, helping to reduce stress and fatigue. By lowering cortisol and the C-reactive protein, this supplement works to increase energy.
- GLUCOsmart helps to restore normal ovarian function and improve the number of high quality eggs in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
- ESTROsmart helps to balance hormones and support detoxification in the body and alleviates breast pain. With the additions of I3C, DIM, green tea and sulforaphane, the supplement supports achieving optimal health during your period.
The natural ingredients + science behind Lorna supplements:
- I3C: Indole-3-carbinol, or I3C, helps to detoxify estrogens.
- DIM: Diindolylmethane, or DIM, supports healthy estrogens.
- Green tea: Antioxidant green also increases detoxification.
- Sulforaphane: Found in cruciferous vegetables, helps to stimulate the body’s production of detoxification enzymes that eliminate environmental estrogens.
Ashwagandha and Rhodiola: Ashwagandha and Rhodiola are both known for alleviating stress and symptoms of worry.
Perhaps the most challenging aspect of perimenopause is that it happens when life can be busy with work and family responsibilities. Give yourself permission to make your health a priority. Commit to a nutritious diet and finding the right balance between activity and make Lorna Vanderhaeghe Health Solutions your partner in supporting healthy hormones.