Recipe created by Smart Solutions
Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A, which is important for maintaining a healthy reproductive system. Try it in our recipe for Sweet Potato Wild Rice Pilaf. It's nutritious and comforting, just what your body needs!
- 2 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 cup wild rice blend (rinsed and drained)
- ¾ cup barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sweet potato, diced small
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup pecans chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Chopped fresh basil, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the sweet potato on a lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil and add in the wild rice, barley, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for another 45 minutes, or until cooked through.
- In another large skillet add the olive oil, garlic, and onion and cook the onions are caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Add cooked sweet potato, dried cranberries, and chopped pecans. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes, allowing all flavours to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and garnish with basil.